SSD lifespan on Asus eee

Evan Leibovitch evan-ieNeDk6JonTYtjvyW6yDsg at public.gmane.org
Sun Jan 27 03:50:58 UTC 2008

Meng Cheah wrote:
> A colleague mentioned that he was wary of the SSD lifespan on the Asus
> eee. I remember reading about log files and swap partition limitations
> on flash devices.
> I did some "googling" and this,
> http://www.storagesearch.com/ssdmyths-endurance.html, is among what came
> up.

That articles is hardly fearmongering on the issue. It suggests, through
reasonable premises, that the lifespans of SSDs are longer than those
for mechanical drives -- 50 years or more under heavier than average use.

> Any thoughts on the SSD lifespan? I understand that it is flash based.
> Pointers to articles or papers will be welcome too.

I would suggest a look at a very good document regarding install of
Ubuntu on the EeePC. Amongst other things, it offers tips on minimizing
disk writes by using (ram-based) tempfs for log files, making changes to
the default disk-mount settings in fstab, and avoiding a swap partition
altogether.

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/EeePC#head-94f55ed3ed5ccd1078c593314598caa70481700b

- Evan