shredding files on a flash drive

Peter P. plpeter2006-/E1597aS9LQAvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Sat Jan 26 09:15:52 UTC 2008

Kristian Erik Hermansen <kristian.hermansen at ...> writes:
> disk if you like   The reason is that once the platters are
> removed, they can never be aligned in the same way that they were
> manufactured.  Thus, an multi-platter hard disk data is unrecoverable,
> by any means...

The platters are all self aligned and soft formatted. The people who recover
data have fancy drives with micrometer screws that allow the platters to be
realigned as needed. There is also a way to read the platters without contact
using a laser and a physical effect known as Faraday Rotation. It does not
require that the platters be in one piece or straight. I am not an expert on
this but be sure that other people ARE.

Peter P.