Place to get (Thinkpad) laptop battery in Toronto/GTA?

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Fri Jan 25 21:26:18 UTC 2008

On Fri, Jan 25, 2008 at 12:56:31PM -0500, D. Hugh Redelmeier wrote:
> Technically you are supposed to pay Ontario PST.  The out-of-province
> vendor does not need to collect it but you are obliged to pay it
> yourself.
>
> I know of a case where the Ontario government did go after retail
> customers for this.  They found the customers from the customer list
> of the vendor.  Not surprisingly, I don't want to go into details for
> privacy reasons.  It is probably hard to figure out how frequently
> this happens because of privacy concerns.  I suspect it is very rare.

Well I think a number of provinces have agreements with each other which
mean the retailers have to collect PST for the target province.  It
would appear this is not the case for BC.  Also companies that operate
in multiple provinces in general seem to have to collect PST for the
provinces they do operate in when selling to people there.

I think this is the first time I have bought anything from BC though
since usually the shipping charges kill the prices, but this time they
have a "free shipping on orders over $500" going on so that made thigns
much better.  Even paying PST it would still be cheaper than buying it
locally although not by as much, but I would still have had to spend
time driving to multiple stores to get the best prices.

Personally I think it would save tons of accounting and government
administration costs if we just elliminated sales tax and did everything
by income taxes and property taxes and the like.  Once you earn the
money and pay taxes, you can buy what you want from where you want
without having to worry about more taxes and there would be a lot less
paperwork and stuff for retailers to do and for the government to do.

--
Len Sorensen