X/boot/emu1212m

Christopher Aitken chris-n/jUll39koHNgV/OU4+dkA at public.gmane.org
Fri Jan 25 19:38:45 UTC 2008

Christopher Aitken wrote:
>> It seems that a couple of problems are converging. I'm having trouble
>> booting and seems I've lost some regular user ('chris') privileges.
>> However, on a whim, I decided to try alsa again. Guess what? Alsa now
>> sees the emu1212m pci card for the first time!

Now alsa does /not/ see the emu1212m pci soundcard. Though it's been
strongly suggested that this has nothing to do with IRQs, everytime I
adjust an IRQ alsa either starts seeing the card or stops seeing the card.

>> I thought I'd start another thread here rather than go back and forth
>> between threads.
>>
>> What I did before I had the boot/X/user problem was I did apt-get
>> remove on hte following apps:
>>
>> alsa-oss
>> alsa-base
>> alsa-tools
>> alsa-utils
>> alsa-source
>> alsa-firmware
>>
>> then re-installed them all. I figured this may do something good now
>> that I have the correct repositry in apt/sources.list.
>>
>> Then I went into the BIOS and changed an IRQ.
>>
>> Now I have X and user problems

The only regular user ('chris') problem now is that I am not able to
Shut Down the system. I have to do 'sudo shutdown now'. i can't log off
either. When I tried I got (at least the part of the screen I could see):

(II) Module already built-in
(EE) AIGLX: Screen 0 isnot DRI capable
SetClientVersion: 09
SetGrabKeysState - disabled
SetGrabKeysState - enabled
SetGrabKeysState - disabled
SetGrabKeysState - enabled
SetGrabKeysState - disabled
SetGrabKeysState - enabled
SetGrabKeysState - disabled
SetGrabKeysState - enabled

waiting for X server to shutdown...
chris at cpc:~$

> I can't shut down (not as user anyway) - when I go to System>Quit I
> have all the options (Hibernate, Switch User et al. but no 'Shut
> Down'). How can I give myself permission to Shut Down again (or is
> part of a larger problem I need to address?)? I guess I lost the
> permission with this latest boot trouble.
<snip>

I'm wondering if the CMOS battery is dying.

Chris