shredding files on a flash drive

Kristian Erik Hermansen kristian.hermansen-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Fri Jan 25 17:51:43 UTC 2008

On Jan 25, 2008 7:34 AM, Lennart Sorensen <lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 24, 2008 at 02:54:53PM -0800, Kristian Erik Hermansen wrote:
> > That claim is apparently false, by numerous rebuttals to the Guttmann
> > paper.  I will assume that the rebuttals are correct until someone can
> > prove that.  Btw, I also have a question for you :-)
> >
> > Q: You open a hard disk drive case enclosure, remove the actuator and
> > screws for the platters, and place two platters on your desk.  The
> > data was intact and not overwritten when you pulled them from the
> > caseing.  Can you recover the data on the platters?
> > A: No.
>
> My guess would be yes.  What reason do you have for saying it is no?

I challenge anyone to prove me wrong.  Go forth and study on your own
disk if you like :-)  The reason is that once the platters are
removed, they can never be aligned in the same way that they were
manufactured.  Thus, an multi-platter hard disk data is unrecoverable,
by any means...
--
Kristian Erik Hermansen
"Know something about everything and everything about something."