shredding files on a flash drive

Kristian Erik Hermansen kristian.hermansen-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Thu Jan 24 22:54:53 UTC 2008

On Jan 24, 2008 2:23 PM, Peter P. <plpeter2006-/E1597aS9LQAvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> writing magnetic media with anything will not erase the previous recording, it
> will just make it significantly less readable. Trust me, it's the way it is. And

That claim is apparently false, by numerous rebuttals to the Guttmann
paper.  I will assume that the rebuttals are correct until someone can
prove that.  Btw, I also have a question for you :-)

Q: You open a hard disk drive case enclosure, remove the actuator and
screws for the platters, and place two platters on your desk.  The
data was intact and not overwritten when you pulled them from the
caseing.  Can you recover the data on the platters?
A: No.
--
Kristian Erik Hermansen
"Know something about everything and everything about something."