Vista Home license now allows virtualization

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Thu Jan 24 18:07:18 UTC 2008

On Thu, Jan 24, 2008 at 11:47:42AM -0500, D. Hugh Redelmeier wrote:
> I fear that you are correct in your surmise.
>
> I've just sent this message to Acer support:
>
>     Subject: EULA for Vista Home
>
>     According to this article, Microsoft has changed the licensing terms
>     for Windows Vista Home to allow it to be run inside a virtual machine.
>     http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20080121-microsoft-relents-vista-virtualization-ban-lifted.html
>
>     This Microsoft page says "If you obtained the software pre-loaded on a
>     device from a manufacturer, consult the license terms that came with
>     the software on that device."
>
>     I would like this new right.  Could you please provide me with a
>     revised EULA with this provision?

Hmm, interesting.  Reading the license agreement on microsoft's web site
when you select for example windows vista you get this in the
suplemental licence PDF:

<quote>
If you are licensed to use Microsoft Windows Vista Home Basic, Home Premium, Business, or Ultimate, or
Service Pack 1 of any of these Windows Vista editions (the "software"), you have the following license
right. If there is a conflict with any past or future license terms for the software, this supplemental
license term applies.

Use with Virtualization Technologies. Instead of using the software directly on the licensed device,
you may install and use the software within only one virtual (or otherwise emulated) hardware system on
the licensed device. When used in a virtualized environment, content protected by digital rights
management technology, BitLocker or any full volume disk drive encryption technology may not be as
secure as protected content not in a virtualized environment. You should comply with all domestic and
international laws that apply to such protected content.
</quote>

It doesn't mention anything about OEM or not, just that if you are
licensed to use Vista on a given device then you are licensed to use it
in one virtual machine instance on that same device.  At least that is
how I read the above text.  Of course it says that it is instead of
using it directly on the device, so no running vista as a guest under
vista with only the one license it would appear.  I believe ultimate on
the other hand does permit doing so with I think up to 4 guest
instances.  I would have to check the license again.  Its not like I
have vista ultimate or anything to actually do it with.

--
Len Sorensen