Vista Home license now allows virtualization

D. Hugh Redelmeier hugh-pmF8o41NoarQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org
Thu Jan 24 16:47:42 UTC 2008

| From: Lennart Sorensen <lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org>

| Ehm, I don't think that change applies to OEM versions, only retail
| (full and upgrade) versions.  Not sure though (and I sure can't find
| that info in microsoft's web site).

I fear that you are correct in your surmise.

I've just sent this message to Acer support:

    Subject: EULA for Vista Home

    According to this article, Microsoft has changed the licensing terms
    for Windows Vista Home to allow it to be run inside a virtual machine.
    http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20080121-microsoft-relents-vista-virtualization-ban-lifted.html

    This Microsoft page says "If you obtained the software pre-loaded on a
    device from a manufacturer, consult the license terms that came with
    the software on that device."

    I would like this new right.  Could you please provide me with a
    revised EULA with this provision?

    Thanks.

    The actual Microsoft announcement is here:
    http://www.microsoft.com/Presspass/press/2008/jan08/01-21VirtualizationAdoptionPR.mspx
    Within that, it says:
    "For consumers, Windows Vista Home Basic and Windows Vista Home
    Premium are now licensed for use in a virtual machine environment, and
    the updated end-user license agreement is available at
    http://www.microsoft.com/about/legal/useterms/default.aspx."