ubuntu 7.10 won't boot

Randy Jonasz rjonasz-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Wed Jan 23 21:34:46 UTC 2008

Hello,

I'm not sure how to fix the problem, but it looks like the framebuffer used
by the splash screen is failing.  Maybe disabling the splash screen would
allow you to boot properly until you can sort out your video problems. You
can find splash options in /boot/grub/menu.lst

Cheers,

Randy

On Jan 23, 2008 4:13 PM, Chris Gow <sniffy-bJEeYj9oJeDQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org> wrote:

> On Wednesday 23 January 2008 16:01:36 chris-n/jUll39koHNgV/OU4+dkA at public.gmane.org wrote:
> > I can't boot my ubuntu 7.10 system.
> >
> > I'm getting this:
> >
> > Starting up...
> > usplash: Setting mode 1280X1024 failed
> > usplash: Setting mode 1152X864 failed
> > usplash: Setting mode 1024X768 failed
> > usplash: Using mode 800X600
> > kinit: name_to_dev_t (/dev/md1) + md1(9,7)
> > kinit: trying to resume from /dev/md1
> > kinit: No resume image, doing normal boot...
> >
> > Ubuntu 7.10 cpc tty1
> >
> > I don't know if my (brand-new) hard drive is crashing or what. I went
> into
> > the BIOS to see if there was any IRQ conflict with my emu1212m pci card
> (I
> > haven't been able to initialize it under alsa) - I made a change and
> > rebooted and got the above. So, I went innto the BIOS and restored
> default
> > settings. I'm still getting the above error. At the prompt I logged in
> as
> > root and tried to run init 5 - that did nothing - same for init 3. init
> 1
> > got me to another screen but I don't know what to do in init 1 anyway.
> >
> > Any ideas? I'm emailing this through webmail on another machine. i guess
> > you can tell from the above that I have set up RAID not that I would
> know
> > how to restore from RAID but I thought the point of RAID is that if a
> hard
> > drive goes the other will take over.
> So you can log in as root, can you also log in as normal user? What
> happens if
> you run startx? Does your X start up then?
>
> I'd also check your /var/log/Xorg.log and if startx doesn't work maybe
> your .xsession-errors in your home directory
>
> -- chris

Oscar Developer
McMaster University
75 Frid Street, Hamilton, ON