emu 1212m pci on ubuntu 7.10

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Wed Jan 23 01:46:26 UTC 2008

On Tue, Jan 22, 2008 at 05:34:57PM -0500, Christopher Aitken wrote:
> Christopher Aitken wrote:
> >Lennart Sorensen wrote:
> >
> <snip>
> >>There are a few people complaining on ubuntu that even with the firmware
> >>file in place it still complains that it can't find it.  I wonder if
> >>ubuntu changed where they look for firmware files.  Some systems used to
> >>put it in /usr/lib/hotplug/firmware.
> >>
> >>You could try doing:
> >>cp -a /lib/firmware/* /usr/lib/hotplug/firmware/
> chris at cpc:~$ cp -a /lib/firmware/* /usr/lib/hotplug/firmware/
> cp: target `/usr/lib/hotplug/firmware/' is not a directory: No such file
> or directory
>
> Should I create the directory or does the absence of that directory mean
> the system won't look there?

Hmm, well if it doesn't exist then I guess Ubuntu won't look there.  I
know Debian used to, although it now uses /lib/firmware as well.

So I see no reason this shouldn't work.  The driver looks right, the
firmware file looks right and appears to have proper permissions and
everything.  You might have to ask the alsa user mailing list for help.

Not sure if there was a bug in alsa 1.0.14rc that is gone in 1.0.15
since I did find messages from people that had it working, although
nothing that ever answered why some people got the same error as you are
getting.

Maybe the firmware shouldn't be in subdirectories, but rather have the
hana.fw in the /lib/firmware directory directly, although the error
message, and the why the files are distributed would say otherwise.

Short of going and looking at what the source code does when it looks
for the firmware in that particular version I am not sure what else to
suggest, and since I just got a pile of new computer hardware to play
with, reading source code is a bit down my list right now. :)

--
Len Sorensen