emu 1212m pci on ubuntu 7.10

George Nicol gnicol-PeCUgM4zDv73fQ9qLvQP4Q at public.gmane.org
Tue Jan 22 06:34:39 UTC 2008

Christopher Aitken wrote:
> chris at cpc:~$ sudo apt-get install alsa-firmware
> Reading package lists... Done
> Building dependency tree      Reading state information... Done
> E: Couldn't find package alsa-firmware

You might be more comfortable using Synaptic instead of the CLI.

Nevertheless, at the command line, try:
sudo apt-get install alsa-firmware-loaders

If you were in the Synaptic GUI, you would also see some other
interesting packages listed. Such as:

alsa-base (likely already marked as installed?)
alsamixergui
alsa-source
alsa-tools
alsa-tools-gui
alsa-utils
etc

and, if you select (click/highlight) a package, you would see
a brief description of what it does. If you choose to install
something that has dependencies, Synaptic will explain what
they are and ask your permission before proceeding.

Len knows how to get the same info using apt-get at the root
prompt. But you'll probably learn faster and get more done if
you pull down Ubuntu's System menu, scroll to Administration,
and click Synaptic Package Manager. Initially, it will urge
you to hit Reload, Mark All Upgrades, and Apply. Not as
daunting as it may appear. I would urge you to pull down
Synaptic's Help menu and, at least, read the Quick Intro.

Synaptic is just one of apt-get's pretty faces. The geek in
you can learn apt-get at leisure. I'm fairly sure you just
want to make some cheerful noises... soon. Try it out. No
obligation.