Standard serial/parallel ports for new PC

Kevin Cozens kevin-4dS5u2o1hCn3fQ9qLvQP4Q at public.gmane.org
Mon Jan 21 04:30:57 UTC 2008

Greetings.

The one thing my new computer (HP computer with Core 2 Duo processor) doesn't
have is either a serial or parallel port. I know there are USB adapters to
provide these types of ports but they aren't useful to me. I have some
programs which require being able to do bit-bashing on the ports. I also want
to do use the parallel port for interfacing with some electronic circuits, and
I can use it with my old laser printer.

I would like to get a single board that has a 9-pin serial port compatible
with a standard 8250/16450/16550 chip, and a 25-pin parallel port compatible
with a standard 8255 chip, and that use standard IRQ's for each of the serial
and parallel ports on the board.

The boards I have found are a in the $60 to close to $100 but seem to share a
single IRQ. Since they do that, I would question their compatability with the
ports found on older computers. Anyone happen to know of a source for such a
board? If I can't get both ports on one board, I could go with just a parallel
port board for now.

The board(s) need to be Linux compatible. A board that would work but comes
with some custom Windows driver isn't likely to be useful. The alternative
would be to make one myself but that is likely to be a hassle to interface
with the PCI bus used in the current day machines.

--
Cheers!

Kevin.