D'oh!

chris-n/jUll39koHNgV/OU4+dkA at public.gmane.org chris-n/jUll39koHNgV/OU4+dkA at public.gmane.org
Sun Jan 20 20:52:08 UTC 2008

Lennart Sorensen writes:

> On Sat, Jan 19, 2008 at 11:11:41AM -0500, Christopher Aitken wrote:
>> Internet (cable modem) --- router --- all other machines
>>
>> The reason I keep harping on the little gui network configurator
>> ('neat') is not because I'm looking for pity and want a nice little gui
>> network configurator to use in ubuntu (okay I /would/ like such an app
>> (but not the pity)). I'm just trying to let you guys know that what I
>> was doing on previous installations (successfully for years) was simply
>> this:
>>

>>                                             "ppc" (192.168.0.3 for
>> local stuff like scp and printing; dhcp-asigned address for Internet)
>>                                              -
>>                                              -
>>                                              -
>> internet (cable modem) --- router --- "cpc" (192.168.0.2 for local stuff
>> like scp and printing; dhcp-asigned address for Internet)
>>                                              -
>>                                              -
>>                                              -
>>                                             "dpc" (192.168.0.4 for
>> local stuff like scp and printing; dhcp-asigned address for Internet)
>>

>> I'll use "ppc" as an example since it is the last fedora box (with the
>> 'neat' app) in the house. In 'neat' I simply click on the Ethernet
>> Device eth0 and click 'Add' to add a new "Ethernet Device" which is then
>> named eth0:1. To that device I assign "Static Address"  192.168.0.3/24.
>> The eth0 Device is set to "Automatically obtain IP address settings via
>> DHCP".
>>
>> I do not understand IP anywhere near as well as you. I do, however,
>> humbly insist that the above works (for me) very well. I simply have not
>> been able to do this on the ubuntu machine.
>>
>> Hopefully this text diagram will not be a mess when I email it.
>
> I think the real problem is that you keep trying to add a new interface
> when you only have one and just should be changing its settings.
>
> Change eth0 from DHCP to Manual and set the IP you want.

But don't I have to have a "Device" set to 'Automatically obtain IP address
from DHCP'? Isn't that how I say "yes" to the Internet cable modem (via my
router?) that I do want an IP address on the Internet?

> That's all you
> need.  Each machine only has one interface, which is then eth0 in most
> cases, so that is the only interface that should have any configuration
> at all,

But doesn't the "one interface" need two addresses (one DHCP-assigned for
Internet and one static for printing/scp et al.)?

> and if you want fixed addresses, don't use DHCP since DHCP is
> for dynamically assigned addresses.

Yes, "dynamically assigned" by the ISP, no?

> Just make sure you set the IP, DNS server and gateway IP correctly.

Oh yeah! My static address lets me scp/print et al. and when I want the
Internet the gateway (192.168.0.1) gets me there!

Chris