D'oh!

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Sun Jan 20 19:02:38 UTC 2008

On Sat, Jan 19, 2008 at 11:11:41AM -0500, Christopher Aitken wrote:
> Internet (cable modem) --- router --- all other machines
>
> The reason I keep harping on the little gui network configurator
> ('neat') is not because I'm looking for pity and want a nice little gui
> network configurator to use in ubuntu (okay I /would/ like such an app
> (but not the pity)). I'm just trying to let you guys know that what I
> was doing on previous installations (successfully for years) was simply
> this:
>

>                                             "ppc" (192.168.0.3 for
> local stuff like scp and printing; dhcp-asigned address for Internet)
>                                              -
>                                              -
>                                              -
> internet (cable modem) --- router --- "cpc" (192.168.0.2 for local stuff
> like scp and printing; dhcp-asigned address for Internet)
>                                              -
>                                              -
>                                              -
>                                             "dpc" (192.168.0.4 for
> local stuff like scp and printing; dhcp-asigned address for Internet)
>

> I'll use "ppc" as an example since it is the last fedora box (with the
> 'neat' app) in the house. In 'neat' I simply click on the Ethernet
> Device eth0 and click 'Add' to add a new "Ethernet Device" which is then
> named eth0:1. To that device I assign "Static Address"  192.168.0.3/24.
> The eth0 Device is set to "Automatically obtain IP address settings via
> DHCP".
>
> I do not understand IP anywhere near as well as you. I do, however,
> humbly insist that the above works (for me) very well. I simply have not
> been able to do this on the ubuntu machine.
>
> Hopefully this text diagram will not be a mess when I email it.

I think the real problem is that you keep trying to add a new interface
when you only have one and just should be changing its settings.

Change eth0 from DHCP to Manual and set the IP you want.  That's all you
need.  Each machine only has one interface, which is then eth0 in most
cases, so that is the only interface that should have any configuration
at all, and if you want fixed addresses, don't use DHCP since DHCP is
for dynamicly assigned addresses.

Just make sure you set the IP, DNS server and gateway IP correctly.  The
DNS and gateway are probably your router's local IP, although the DNS
could be something else.  You can check your current settings
(/etc/resolv.conf should show the current nameserver) and 'ip ro sh' or
'route' should show your current default gateway IP (which will be the
router's internal IP for sure).

--
Len Sorensen