Debian Sid and Grub

Merv Curley mervc-MwcKTmeKVNQ at public.gmane.org
Sat Jan 19 18:47:22 UTC 2008

On Thursday 17 January 2008 10:28, Lennart Sorensen wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 15, 2008 at 03:09:21PM -0500, Merv Curley wrote:
> > I installed the grub-doc pkg for ver .97 this AM and perhaps you could
> > check it and see if you interpret it the way I did.  Maybe I'll do a temp
> > LVM setup using the whole disk and see if it seems to work. I'd ruther
> > trust you tho,  ;-)
>
> Well I found a web page that explicitly said that LVM support was added
> to Grub in version 1.95 which is the development for GRUB2.  0.97 is
> certainly not 1.95.

With Debian I never really know what version some things are.  Looking a bit
more carefully at the repository, I see that Grub 2 is version 1.95, my
inattention, sorry.

> A small /boot is no big deal though (200MB is what I tend to suggest),
> and everything you actually really use will be on LVM.
>
> --
I think you can make it only as small as one track of the disk, so it will
depend on the disk capacity?  Maybe I am just using the wrong partitioning
tool.

At any rate I have 3 small partitions at the start of the drive and Mythbuntu
installed in 2 LVM logicals. That part is ok but the mythtv backend refuses
to work so far. No problem like this before with mythtv. Hopefully my error
will show up.

--
Merv Curley
Toronto, Ont. Can