Apologies for html message

Christopher Browne cbbrowne-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Sat Jan 19 16:57:14 UTC 2008

On Jan 19, 2008 10:30 AM, John McGregor <mr.mcgregor-bJEeYj9oJeDQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> George Nicol wrote:
> > OTOH, what is actually annoying is that every time you reply to a
> > thread, your reply starts a new thread (is posted outside the original
> > thread). I guess you don't thread TLUG messages and therefore don't
> > realize this is happening. We both use Tbird but somehow with different
> > results.
> >
> > This reply from me will thread correctly. Notice the subject line above:
> >      "Re: [TLUG]: Apologies for html message"
> > The result will be a post threaded below your "Apologies" email.
> >
> > Tbird made that happen without any fiddling on my part. All I do is:
> > display the post I want to reply to ->- hit "Reply" ->- edit the
> > original message ->- bottom post what I have to say ->- and hit "Send".
> >
> > Pretty simple, really. Tbird does all the heavy lifting.
> >
> > Now look at the subject line of your reply to Paul King's recent post:
> >      "[TLUG]: re:OT (Windows): SD Card reader on Gateway Laptop"
> > (Notice the position of your "re:" versus my "Re:") The result was a
> > new thread. That happened because you munged the subject line.
> >
> > Please stop adding "re:" to the subject when you reply. It is not
> > necessary and causes problems for those (most of us) who have
> > threading turned on so that conversations on a given topic are
> > separated and thus easier to follow. You may also find it
> > advantageous to turn on threading in your client.
> >
> I didn't realize that I was causing a problem for some and I will
> change. What would help future subscribers (and those of us who need a
> refresher) to the list would be for the posting guidelines to be posted
> on the GTALug wiki. I just checked and there is nothing there ( not even
> the long standing requirement for plain text replies) other than the
> address where to sign up.

Nah, this is a lot more like the British Constitution.  (Hint:  There
is no single such document...)

There are members of the list that have been using email since the
days of the early RFCs...  There *are* standards out there that
describe things about "good form."

There is RFC 1855, for instance.
http://www.dtcc.edu/cs/rfc1855.html

I always had some favor for the "Emily Postnews" document...
"The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and
expecting different results."  -- assortedly attributed to Albert
Einstein, Benjamin Franklin, Rita Mae Brown, and Rudyard Kipling