shredding files on a flash drive

Christopher Browne cbbrowne-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Fri Jan 18 13:23:47 UTC 2008

On Jan 17, 2008 8:20 PM, D. Hugh Redelmeier <hugh-pmF8o41NoarQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> Any recommendation?  Perhaps one should never consider a flash device
> cleaned.

I'd think two things:

1.  I'd rather have my data encrypted when on a flash device, so that
it might resist attack even if the device fell into the wrong hands;

2.  There seems to be more than enough nondeterminism as to data
access that I'd never consider it truly "clean."

A date with Mr Fireplace should be in the cards...

"The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and
expecting different results."  -- assortedly attributed to Albert
Einstein, Benjamin Franklin, Rita Mae Brown, and Rudyard Kipling