OT: legal obligations

Kareem Shehata kareem-d+8TeBu5bOew5LPnMra/2Q at public.gmane.org
Thu Jan 17 02:45:49 UTC 2008

Standard disclaimer for this topic: I am not a lawyer, this is not legal
advice, anything written below is to be taken only at face value, blah, blah
blah...

Yes, but school officials have a duty to the public, and in particular their
students.  A "duty of care" is the underpinning of negligence.  IIRC (and
IANAL) negligence requires:

1) A duty of care
2) Some "reasonable standard"
3) Proof that the individual in question acted in a way that a "reasonable
practitioner" in the same role would have.

In other words, the courts will weigh the role in society against the acts.
An engineer is expected to do certain technical things that a teacher
wouldn't, but a teacher is responsible for other things etc.

-kms