[SPAM] -Domain registration and hosting - Email found in subject

George Nicol gnicol-PeCUgM4zDv73fQ9qLvQP4Q at public.gmane.org
Wed Jan 16 19:17:11 UTC 2008

Christopher Browne wrote:

> I would "second" this, for a further reason...
>
> If your Hosting Provider does the domain registration for you, then
> *THEY* are the ones that hold the registration.  If you ever have need
> to change providers, then they may be in a position to hold the domain
> name "hostage," and if they were the ones who paid for it, you may
> have to hire lawyers and such to fight for the name.  You may be in
> the right, but it may co$t thou$and$ to e$tabli$h that.

Domains registered through GoDaddy always display the following:

Registrar Status: clientDeleteProhibited
Registrar Status: clientRenewProhibited
Registrar Status: clientTransferProhibited
Registrar Status: clientUpdateProhibited

Every time I see it, I wonder if it means that a person or organization
has traded being hostage to GoDaddy for being hostage to their Hosting
Provider. It certainly looks that way. Isn't one as bad as the other?
Isn't that potentially penny wise and pound foolish?

When a business is sold, one of the valuable assets for sale is their
good name (goodwill). Today, their "good domain name" is another asset.
When a client wants advice about registering a TLD, I recommend using a
full service registrar, such as Webnames.ca[***], so that the client
controls ALL their options. Considering the long run, the additional
expense is not significant. Look elsewhere for Web Hosting according to
your needs.

Besides, when the name "GoDaddy" appears on my screen, the little birdie
on my shoulder goes "Cheep, cheep, cheap." I really dislike that name.

The foregoing is based on my long-standing business motto:
"Quality. Service. Price. Pick any two."

[***] I have absolutely no affiliation whatsoever. Honest.

.