emu 1212m pci on ubuntu 7.10

Christopher Aitken chris-n/jUll39koHNgV/OU4+dkA at public.gmane.org
Tue Jan 15 22:01:22 UTC 2008

Lennart Sorensen wrote:
> On Sat, Jan 12, 2008 at 11:36:18AM -0500, Christopher Aitken wrote:
>
>> With my (still relatively) new ubuntu instalation I haven't tried to get
>> my emu 1212 m pci soundcard working. I did this successfully a while
>> back when I had fedora 7 on the box. I just re-read all the emails from
>> that and it seems that the only thing I did to make it work was getting
>> the latest alsa on the machine. Would the following be a good way to start?:
>>

>> sudo apt-get install alsa
>> sudo apt-get install alsa-firmware
>> sudo apt-get install alsa-lib

None of these would install...

chris at cpc:~$ sudo apt-get install alsa-firmware
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
E: Couldn't find package alsa-firmware
chris at cpc:~$ sudo apt-get install alsa-lib
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
E: Couldn't find package alsa-lib

>> Please note that this time I'm asking /before/ I do careless stuff. I
>> think it's better to thrash-talk than thrash about in my computer...
>>

> Sounds like a good thing to try.  apt-cache search alsa might give some
> package names worth looking at.

Hmmm - they /all/ look so nice...

chris at cpc:~$ apt-cache search alsa
alsa-base - ALSA driver configuration files
linux-sound-base - base package for ALSA and OSS sound systems
libasound2 - ALSA library
libasound2-plugins - ALSA library additional plugins
alsa-utils - ALSA utilities
libesd-alsa0 - Enlightened Sound Daemon (ALSA) - Shared libraries
gstreamer0.10-alsa - GStreamer plugin for ALSA
libao2 - Cross Platform Audio Output Library
libsdl1.2debian-alsa - Simple DirectMedia Layer (with X11 and ALSA options)
pulseaudio - PulseAudio sound server
sl-modem-daemon - SmartLink software modem daemon
lib64asound2 - ALSA library (64bit)
lib64asound2-dev - ALSA library development files (64 bit)
libasound2-dev - ALSA library development files
libasound2-doc - ALSA library developer documentation
libmikmod2 - A portable sound library
libmikmod2-dev - A portable sound library - development files
libsdl1.2debian-all - Simple DirectMedia Layer (with all available options)
xfce4-mixer-alsa - Xfce4 Mixer ALSA backend
2vcard - A little perl script to convert an addressbook to VCARD file format
aconnectgui - graphical ALSA sequencer connection manager
alsa-oss - ALSA wrapper for OSS applications
alsa-source - ALSA driver sources
alsa-tools - Console based ALSA utilities for specific hardware
alsa-tools-gui - GUI based ALSA utilities for specific hardware
alsamixergui - graphical soundcard mixer for ALSA soundcard driver
alsaplayer-alsa - PCM player designed for ALSA (ALSA output module)
alsaplayer-common - PCM player designed for ALSA (common files)
alsaplayer-daemon - PCM player designed for ALSA (non-interactive version)
alsaplayer-esd - PCM player designed for ALSA (EsounD output module)
alsaplayer-gtk - PCM player designed for ALSA (GTK version)
alsaplayer-jack - PCM player designed for ALSA (JACK output module)
alsaplayer-nas - PCM player designed for ALSA (NAS output module)
alsaplayer-oss - PCM player designed for ALSA (OSS output module)
alsaplayer-text - PCM player designed for ALSA (text version)
alsaplayer-xosd - PCM player designed for ALSA (osd version)
ams - Realtime modular synthesizer for ALSA
amsynth - two oscillator software synthesizer
aqualung - Gapless Gtk-based audio player
ardour - digital audio workstation (graphical gtk2 interface)
asoundconf-gtk - Applet to select the default ALSA sound card
asterisk - Open Source Private Branch Exchange (PBX)
aumix - Simple text-based mixer control program
aumix-gtk - Simple mixer control program with GUI and text interfaces
awesfx - utility programs for AWE32/64 and Emu10k1 driver
balsa - An e-mail client for GNOME
bluetooth-alsa - Bluetooth audio for Linux
bse-alsa - ALSA plugin for BEAST
cam - Cpu's Audio Mixer for Linux
dssi-host-jack - An example DSSI host
ecawave - graphical audio file editor
fische - Stand-alone sound visualisation for Linux
fmit - Free Music Instrument Tuner
gamix - Graphical sound mixer for ALSA
gnome-alsamixer - ALSA sound mixer for GNOME
gom - Command line and interactive ncurses-based OSS audio mixer
hydrogen - Simple drum machine/step sequencer
ihu - Qt VoIP softphone with an own, encrypted protocol
jack-rack - LADSPA effects "rack" for JACK
kaconnect - Connection utility for the ALSA sequencer system
kdetv - TV viewer for KDE
kmidimon - MIDI monitor using ALSA sequencer and KDE user interface
ladcca-bin - LADCCA example clients
ladcca-dev - Development files for LADCCA
ladcca2 - LADCCA shared library files
ladccad - LADCCA server
lash-bin - Linux Audio Session Handler (LASH) example clients
lash-doc - Linux Audio Session Handler (LASH) documentation
lashd - Linux Audio Session Handler (LASH) server
ld10k1 - ALSA emu10k1/2 patch loader
libalsa-ocaml - OCaml bindings for the ALSA library
libalsa-ocaml-dev - OCaml bindings for the ALSA library
libalsaplayer-dev - PCM player designed for ALSA (interface library,
development files)
libalsaplayer0 - PCM player designed for ALSA (interface library)
libao-ruby - cross-platform audio output library bindings for Ruby
libao-ruby1.8 - cross-platform audio output library bindings for Ruby 1.8
libclalsadrv-dev - Development file for libclalsadrv
libclalsadrv1 - ALSA driver C++ access library
liblash-dev - Linux Audio Session Handler (LASH) development files
liblash2 - Linux Audio Session Handler (LASH) shared library files
liblo10k1-0 - ALSA emu10k1/2 patch-loader library
liblo10k1-dev - ALSA emu10k1/2 patch-loader library development files
liby-dev - Y Sound Server Library Header Files
liby2-14 - Y Sound Server Library
mcp-plugins - LADSPA plugins designed for Alsa Modular Synth
mhwaveedit - Simple and fast GTK2 sound editor
moc - ncurses based console audio player
mpg123-alsa - MPEG layer 1/2/3 audio player with ALSA support
muse - Qt-based midi/audio sequencer
oss-compat - OSS compatibility package
patchage - modular patch bay for Jack audio and Alsa Midi
pmidi - A command line midi player for ALSA
psemu-sound-alsa - ALSA sound plugin for PSX emulators
python-alsaaudio - Alsa bindings for Python
qamix - Configurable mixer for ALSA
qarecord - A simple multithreaded stereo recording tool
qlo10k1 - ALSA ld10k1 utility
qmidiarp - MIDI arpeggiator for ALSA
qmidiroute - MIDI router and filter utility
qtractor - MIDI/Audio multi-track sequencer application
scolily - Utility to create music scores from microphone
setmixer - A commandline mixer
snd-gtk - Sound file editor (GTK+ user interface)
specimen - a MIDI controllable audio sampler for GNU/Linux systems
stymulator - Curses based player and converter for the YM chiptune format
tapiir - A tool for real time audio delay and feedback effects
timidity - Software sound renderer (MIDI sequencer, MOD player)
vdr-plugin-bitstreamout - Plugin for VDR to play AC3 sound over a sound card
vkeybd - Virtual MIDI Keyboard
vlc-plugin-alsa - dummy transitional package
xmms2-plugin-alsa - XMMS2 - ALSA output
xmp-alsa - ALSA driver for XMP
yate-alsa - ALSA module for yate
yiff-server - Y Sound Server
zinf-plugin-alsa - ALSA plugin for ZINF
alsa-firmware-loaders - ALSA software loaders for specific hardware
libbio2jack0 - oss/alsa to jack porting lib - runtime files
libbio2jack0-dev - oss/alsa to jack porting lib - development files
audacious-plugins - Base plugins for audacious
libpt-plugins-alsa - Portable Windows Library Audio Plugin for the ALSA
Interface
chris at cpc:~$

I tried disabling the onboard card in the BIOS - didn't affect much -
alsamixer stills sees the Intel card. I did notice a Creative Labs card
in the PCI Devices section od f the BIOS though.

> I am not sure how up to date the current ubuntu is but I would expect it
> to be fairly current.  And you might have to have multiverse enabled to
> get all the firmware stuff, or whatever it is called.

How do I do that?

Chris