Gentoo desktop?

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Mon Jan 14 15:02:22 UTC 2008

On Fri, Jan 11, 2008 at 09:07:04PM -0500, Anthony de Boer wrote:
> Interestingly enough, one of the mottos in the Gentoo community is "If
> You Want Debian, You Know Where To Find It".
>
> I was talking to one of the key Debian people awhile ago, and he said
> that the percentage of source downloads relative to binary downloads
> on the Debian FTP mirrors is rather small.  People are happy with it,
> but they're not looking under the sheets.

Which is a good thing.  Most people should just be happy using things.
The world is much more efficient when people specialize and do things
they are good at.  If everyone has to repeat all work, then very little
new and productive would ever get done.

This is why to me the concept of gentoo is offensive. :)

> And you _can_ find Red Hat source RPMSs (SRPMs) too, if you look hard
> enough.
>
> However, I don't _want_ to run a binary distribution like Debian or
> Fedora or Microsoft Windows where you get binaries somebody else built.
> I want the SOURCE.  Don't get between me and the source code.  I want
> to see source, and I want to see it building.  Call me a programmer or
> something, but source code is important to me.

I am sure I could think of something to call you, but I am not sure
what.  Insisting on compiling things yourself does not make you a
programmer.  Paranoid is more likely.

--
Len Sorensen