Gentoo desktop?

Andrew Malcolmson andzy-bYF1QM81rroS+FvcfC7Uqw at public.gmane.org
Sat Jan 12 13:03:58 UTC 2008

On Thu, 10 Jan 2008 15:36:07 -0500, "Tyler Aviss" <tjaviss-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org>
said:
> Any Gentoo desktop users out there?

I'm a long time Debian user but recently bought a Zonbu low-power,
silent, micro-PC (Via C7 Eden CPU).  The company sells the hardware +
customized Gentoo + monthly support subscription which includes location
of your /home/ on a 50G space on Amazon.com's servers.  The o/s boots
off a CF card. The Zonbu is intended to be a zero-maintenance setup for
newbies, but from their forums I gather there's a mix of new and
experienced Linux users.

I don't know Gentoo well enough to know why they choose it for this
project - maybe the ease of compiling all software for the Via CPU using
USE flags.

The Zonbu is actually very slick - no glitches.  It's perfect for
getting a newbie onto Linux when you can't be there to support them.