Debating web development toolsets

Kareem Shehata kareem-d+8TeBu5bOew5LPnMra/2Q at public.gmane.org
Sat Jan 12 00:15:10 UTC 2008

  _____

From: owner-tlug-lxSQFCZeNF4 at public.gmane.org [mailto:owner-tlug-lxSQFCZeNF4 at public.gmane.org] On Behalf Of Richard Dice
Sent: Wednesday 09 January 2008 10:07
To: tlug-lxSQFCZeNF4 at public.gmane.org
Subject: Re: [TLUG]: Debating web development toolsets

Kareem,

Know Thyself -- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Know_thyself

*	What is your purpose for getting into web development?
*	What is your expectation for growth of the web development project?
*	Do you plan on having other people join in on this project in the
future?  If so, in what capacity?
*	Do you have a customer you will be doing this for?   Do they have
specific needs or expectations that one web development framework will
address more readily than others?
*	What is your existing skill-base in various aspects of web
programming?  (I.e. programming, design/layout, graphics, UI design)
*	Do you want to play to your strengths (perhaps because your goal is
to get the job done ASAP) or do you want to broaden your skills (because
this is a learning project)?  I.e. do you pick something similar to what you
already know or quite different from what you already know?

Don't look at technology first.  Look at what your goals and circumstances
are first and then pick the technology that is most suitable.  (And don't
expect to find a "perfect" technology -- first, there is no such thing, and
second it is quite possible that several of your goals will be mutually
exclusive and therefore you have to make best-compromises between your
goals, and so you should expect your technology choice to reflect
best-compromises as well.)

All very true, and indeed I'm asking myself many of these questions.  My
purpose is not entirely well defined, but the projects I'm looking at are
coming together and I needed to get an idea of what's out there.  It'll both
help with the decision making process, and for my own education.  That and
the debate's been fun.

At this point, it's early enough in the process that I at least have the
ability to make an informed technology choice and also to educate myself on
what might be "best practices".  I'm hoping that will make things easier
down the line, instead of just going with what I know right now.

Thanks!

-kms