Gentoo desktop?

Andrew Cowie andrew-2KHxOkysSnqmy7d5DmSz6TlRY1/6cnIP at public.gmane.org
Fri Jan 11 07:40:37 UTC 2008

On Thu, 2008-01-10 at 16:38 -0500, Dave Germiquet wrote:
> I also learned alot from installing gentoo.

That's actually an interesting aspect. While it is wonderful that most
Linux and Libre Unix distros have brilliant (and constantly improving)
installation automation these days, the defining aspect of Unix has ever
been being able (if you wish) to figure out what is going on and do
something different if you have need.

Even if you are a stalwart user of another distro (and there are all
sorts of reasons why this is fine), doing a few Gentoo installs can be
really educational.

[I say a few because the first one is of course going to be a steep
learning curve while you plow through the installation manual]

Nevertheless, it makes a great second distro if you're got a good handle
on the basics and you're trying to improve your systems administration
skills.

++

We've been using Gentoo across the board for ~5 years now, and continue
to be really impressed. Occasionally they lag behind in some of the
minutiae integration issues, but on the other hand, the elegance and
simplicity in their packaging system is impressive, so you can often
work around / push the envelope if you need to. Their kernel team is
really on the ball.

It's a touch dated, but my article on the subject may be of interest
http://www.operationaldynamics.com/reference/articles/GentooUnusual/

Cheers from the beach,

AfC
Sydney
29°C

--
Andrew Frederick Cowie
Managing Director

Toronto:
   (647) 477 5603

http://www.operationaldynamics.com/
We are an operations engineering consultancy focusing on strategy,
organizational architecture, systems review, and change management
procedures: enabling successful use of open source in mission
critical enterprises, worldwide.

Sydney  New York  Toronto  London