D'oh!

Christopher Aitken chris-n/jUll39koHNgV/OU4+dkA at public.gmane.org
Thu Jan 10 23:57:01 UTC 2008

Lennart Sorensen wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 09, 2008 at 07:25:35PM -0500, chris-n/jUll39koHNgV/OU4+dkA at public.gmane.org wrote:
>
>> Managed to get on the Internet (those addresses were just assigned by the
>> cable modem (or router)). What I can't do is print and scp across my LAN. I
>> want to print to the printer-attached computer (192.168.0.2/24).
>>
>> That makes sense. So, how do I assign a different address to the same NIC?
>> I want it to be 192.168.0.9 with subnet mask 255.255.255.0. I did this in
>> the RH realm with 'neat' so I never learned the manual way. I'm on ubuntu
>> now.
>>

> Well I know how to do it with debian when doing it the plain way.  When
> network manager gets involved I have no idea.  I have never used it.
>
> Given you already appear to have 2 IP addresses within the
> 192.168.0.0/24 subnet, I can't see how adding a 3rd could possibly make
> printing more likely to work than it already is.  I think you are
> looking at the wrong problem.

Okay, I just got printing working. So, the ip addresses obviously work.
I still have two concerns:
1. I can't scp from another machine to this one, and
2. These ip addresses must be assigned by the cable modem/router as I
never assigned them. How will I print if the cable modem is down (well,
my ISP)? It has happened. Without a static address I can't print across
my LAN...

Chris