Gentoo desktop?

Christopher Browne cbbrowne-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Thu Jan 10 22:13:25 UTC 2008

On Jan 10, 2008 10:03 PM, Ian Petersen <ispeters-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> By the way, another nice feature of Gentoo is that it's easy to create
> a minimal system.  I've never used real Debian (only Ubuntu), so maybe
> it's just as easy there, but on Gentoo, you have to choose everything,
> so you can choose small system services or, if you're feeling
> non-standard, you can choose not to install a cron daemon or a system
> logger, or whatever.  You could probably do the same thing with
> Ubuntu, but in the Gentoo case, you start with nothing and build up
> whereas Ubuntu starts with a heck of a lot and you'd have to whittle
> down.  I think it'd be easier to build a small system by starting with
> nothing than by starting with a big system.

The "minimum" for Debian is basically the set of packages required to have:
a) Network connectivity working, and
b) Package management working.

That is what you need as a bootstrap in order to install anything
else, and is indeed pretty minimal.  To have less would mean you
couldn't upgrade the system.
"The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and
expecting different results."  -- assortedly attributed to Albert
Einstein, Benjamin Franklin, Rita Mae Brown, and Rudyard Kipling