Gentoo desktop?

Tyler Aviss tjaviss-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Thu Jan 10 20:36:07 UTC 2008

I've been a long-term Debian user, but though I do love apt, I tend to
find that it falls short in some cases. In particular, I haven't been
overly pleased with using an AMD64 desktop vs the packages available
using IA32, even for newer Debian-derived distros such as Ubuntu.

Since I use my more powerful machine as part desktop, part workhouse,
I'm interesting in switching to Gentoo as a desktop distro. I've heard
good things about it in terms of performance server-wise, and am
wondering if anyone has had much experience using it as a
workstation/desktop (and as such, what's the availability of desktop
software, media packages, etc like).

Any Gentoo desktop users out there?