Debating web development toolsets

Richard Dice rdice-e+AXbWqSrlAAvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Wed Jan 9 15:07:28 UTC 2008

Kareem,

Know Thyself -- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Know_thyself

   - What is your purpose for getting into web development?
   - What is your expectation for growth of the web development project?
   - Do you plan on having other people join in on this project in the
   future?  If so, in what capacity?
   - Do you have a customer you will be doing this for?   Do they have
   specific needs or expectations that one web development framework will
   address more readily than others?
   - What is your existing skill-base in various aspects of web
   programming?  (I.e. programming, design/layout, graphics, UI design)
   - Do you want to play to your strengths (perhaps because your goal is
   to get the job done ASAP) or do you want to broaden your skills (because
   this is a learning project)?  I.e. do you pick something similar to
   what you already know or quite different from what you already know?

Don't look at technology first.  Look at what your goals and circumstances
are first and then pick the technology that is most suitable.  (And don't
expect to find a "perfect" technology -- first, there is no such thing, and
second it is quite possible that several of your goals will be mutually
exclusive and therefore you have to make best-compromises between your
goals, and so you should expect your technology choice to reflect
best-compromises as well.)

Cheers,
Richard