Semi-OT: DVI-to-HDMI cables

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Wed Jan 9 02:45:27 UTC 2008

On Sun, Dec 30, 2007 at 10:13:08AM -0500, Giles Orr wrote:
> I'm considering buying a 1080p LCD TV and perhaps this isn't OT at all
> because I have every intention of using it as a monitor with Linux as
> well as for movies.  A friend has an older Sceptre 37" and we had very
> little trouble getting it set up at 1920x1080 with Linux - but it has
> a VGA in.  A few of the current batch of LCD TVs come with VGA ins,
> and I think I've seen one or two with DVI ins, but pretty much all of
> the ones I'm looking at come with HDMI ins.  So if I don't get DVI/VGA
> in, and I buy one of those ludicrously expensive DVI-to-HDMI cables
> (currently about $75 each), would it allow me to run the LCD TV as a
> monitor at a full 1920x1080 resolution?  I have a video card that will
> support this.

You would be much better off using the DVI to an HDMI input using a DVI
to HDMI cable (should be about $20 or so).  The video card should even
be able to determine the resolution of the screen that way and you just
have to set it up to use that output.  I haven't tried it myself (still
using an old standard TV) but it should be quite simple.

A DVI to HDMI cable is not expensive since they are 100% compatible
signal wise and it is simply an adapter from one connector to another.

For example:
http://www.canadacomputers.com/main.php?do=ShowProduct&cmd=pd&pid=008244&cid=CA.664

Same cost for 2m DVI to HDMI as a 2m DVI to DVI.

--
Len Sorensen