Why Eee?

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Wed Jan 9 02:24:02 UTC 2008

On Sun, Dec 23, 2007 at 07:19:25AM -0500, Brandon Sandrowicz wrote:
> So far as I understand it a lot of Atheros chips are supported very
> well.  To the point that you can even run wireless attack tools on
> them (passive scanning, packet injection, etc).  And I've heard
> second-hand reports that the Atheros chips are able to get better
> reception than the Intel chips.  So far as I know Atheros and Intel
> are the only well-supported wireless chips on Linux (I'm discounting
> older 802.11b-only chips like the orinoco chips here).  The
> alternative would be a broadcom chip (like Apple just did when they
> released the latest update to the MacBook... used to have an Atheros
> chip, now it's a broadcom with the only support being through
> ndiswrapper)

ralink chips are well supported too.

Old atheros chips were supported, but when they went to a software radio
support became awful.

ralink and intel seem to be the only ones that release GPLd drivers for
their chips.  I would never recommend any other wifi chips to anyone at
this time.

--
Len Sorensen