Debating web development toolsets

Jamon Camisso jamon.camisso-H217xnMUJC0sA/PxXw9srA at public.gmane.org
Tue Jan 8 22:43:42 UTC 2008

Dave Cramer wrote:
> f you're really interested in an enterprise version of RoR check out grails
>
> www.grails.org
>
> The site is experiencing some issues right now, but it was built on RoR
> ;) (not by the authors of grails)
>
> Basically use all of the good parts of Rails on top of java. The benefit
> of course is lots of prebuilt working code from the java world.
>
> And people who listen. They do support composite keys ;)

I was just chatting with a developer today who showed me Grails and
Groovy. Grails isn't related to Ruby or Rails though, perhaps in spirit,
but not in terms of code. Still, I had a test webapp running in 5
minutes with a few simple objects that I could add/remove. I am not a
programmer and I found it very easy to get started with.

 From the Grails README:

"Grails is a web based application framework based on the Groovy
language that endorses the DRY (don't repeat yourself) and
coding-by-convention philosophies. Grails runs on the Java Virtual
Machine and thus has access to the entire Java Platform.

With Grails you can easily create web applications thanks to:

- a complete development and deployment environment. All dependencies
and configuration that is required to the run Grails applications in a
web server are provided by Grails. The only thing you have to worry
about is your application code.

- inclusion of an embedded Jetty web server

Jamon