Debating web development toolsets

Kareem Shehata kareem-d+8TeBu5bOew5LPnMra/2Q at public.gmane.org
Tue Jan 8 03:38:06 UTC 2008

Much as I like to learn, I'm most interested in seeing the sites run.  Point
taken though, RoR sounds like it might just be too easy.

> Python is more mature language so it might have more support for
> databases.
>
> For a database-driven site I would suggest steering away from RoR and
> move
> towards Python. How skilled are you in SQL? If you have been doing it
> for years
> then you might want to move fully away from RoR. If you don't know
> allot of SQL
> and it is your biggest handicap (like me) I would suggest a Web
> Framework
> like RoR, Django, TurboGears, etc.

I've done a fair bit of SQL and I'm pretty good at it, but that doesn't mean
I want to write more of it.  My last project involved Oracle, and that
showed me what a DBA really does, and just how badly I don't want to go
there as a career!

A good stored procedure can greatly improve efficiency, but writing SQL
queries for everything really sucks (as is required un Oracle world
*shudder*).

Is it possible to start with a framework and extend past it?  I'm thinking
that perhaps starting with RoR and then adding reporting and features that
go beyond the framework might be an idea.  I heard at a talk a year or two
ago that the best forms of abstraction cover 90% of the common cases, but
allow exceptions to be coded just as easily.  I believe the talk focused on
code generation.  Is that applicable here?

Thanks again for all of the input!

-kms