GTALug and IT360

Giles Orr gilesorr-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Sun Jan 6 17:56:39 UTC 2008

On Jan 5, 2008 10:13 PM, Colin McGregor <colinmc151-bJEeYj9oJeDQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> So, what do you want to see at IT360? Keep in mind
> that the goal here is to get a general IT crowd
> involved with Linux and GTALug. Beyond that well, we
> want to make as big a splash as we can.

I would suggest (and this should carry all the weight of an armchair
observer unwilling to exert himself by doing actual physical work)
that we've done distros enough, and we should assume most people know
what Linux is.  So now we need to convince them that they can go about
their lives normally with the programs Linux provides.  Show them the
best, the least quirky: OpenOffice, K3B, Firefox (don't spend much
time on it, they know what it is - just to show it runs).  I'm sure
others can think of a more complete list.  Maybe the GIMP - powerful,
but if you want to avoid quirky as I suggested, it might be best to
skip.  Given that a large(?) portion of the IT360 crowd is IT
professionals, maybe showing off LAMP or wireshark and friends could
draw a crowd.

--
Giles
http://www.gilesorr.com/