Phisher of the Week (AIDS)

Duncan MacGregor dbmacg-HLeSyJ3qPdM at public.gmane.org
Fri Jan 4 13:09:04 UTC 2008

On December 30, 2007 02:47:44 pm Brandon Sandrowicz wrote:
> On 12/30/07, Walter Dnes <waltdnes-SLHPyeZ9y/tg9hUCZPvPmw at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> >  Well, sometimes shit happens.  Back in the 1940's, a trademark was
> > registered for a dietary supplement.  I think the guy's name was Andrew
> > Young, or something like that.  He named his dietary supplement after
> > himself.  Since "Andrew Young's Dietary Supplement" was a mouthfull to
> > say, it was shortened to AYDS.  He sold the brand to another company,
> > which was bought by another company, etc.  The product was actually
> > quite successful in the late 1970's and early 1980's, with the slogan
> > that "AYDS helps you lose wight".  Then disaster struck.  You can
> > actually find some old commercials for it on Google video, etc.

> I had no idea.  That must have been where that South Park episode's
> inspiration was from.  (the one where Jared from Subway told everyone
> that he really lost weight due to aides, his personal assistants, but
> everyone thought he said AIDS).  Sorry that this is a little OT

On a Honeywell mainframe running GCOS, the only way to run batch jobs was
using 'Job Control Language' or JCL. JCL defined job sequence, and included
file assignments and control parameters

In practice, JCL became hellishly complex to set up, because of all the
control parameters had to to be entered into the JCL stream.

We got a program from GE that made JCL setup an interactive process fed by
prompts in the original JCL 'deck'. So our Job Control 'Language' became
interactive, and setup became a question-and-answer sequence on a terminal.
Questions were about work to be performed, not language syntax.

Anyhoo, the program was called Automated Integrated Deck Setup (AIDS), and we
used it for many years.

AIDS was really helpful to us.

Now aids are no longer helpful things.

--