Scripting for mod_ssl startup

Stephen W. Clarke stephenc-wtWqQT8woy8 at public.gmane.org
Thu Jan 3 20:00:55 UTC 2008

Does anyone on this list know how I could write a script to request user
input during the httpd startup?

I'm using Fedora 7 and Apache with mod_SSL. I have a signed cert from
Thawte made using a csr created with a pass phrase protected private key.
When I start the httpd I should get a prompt asking me for the pass
phrase. Unfortunately, I don't.

However, when I hard code the pass phrase into a bash script file that is
called from the ssl.conf the httpd starts up fine. This solution worries
me as I don't like the idea of having the pass phrase hard coded in a file
that the apache daemon can access. My bash scripting knowledge is poor and
my attempts to create a prompt to request the pass phrase have not been
effective.

Do any of you have any suggestions?

Thanks,
Stephen