Need a ZIP Code for Toronto.

Colin McGregor colinmc151-bJEeYj9oJeDQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org
Tue Jan 1 21:29:43 UTC 2008

Yes, the above is serious if odd request.

As noted in my December TLUG and at the October
NewTLUG presentations I am playing with a HDTV tuner
card in my MythTV box. Said tuner is connected to an
over the air TV antenna (due to ..."oddities"... of
Rogers cable service). Now I want to move as much
recording as possible to HDTV as possible, but I am
running into a new wrinkle...

I get TV listing data from "Schedules Direct" (who in
turn get their data from Tribute Media). Schedules
Direct knows the channel line-ups for the various
Toronto area cable systems, the various Satellite
services, and they know Toronto analog TV. What they
don't know is the digital over the air TV layout for
Toronto. This blind spot for digital TV appears to
extend across Canada :-( .

So, as a stop-gap measure I am looking for the best
best Toronto, Ontario friendly US ZIP code. At the
moment I have told "Schedules Direct" that my cable TV
comes through to a Toronto postal code (my own) and
that my HDTV feed is coming to a receiver in Lockport,
New York (ZIP code : 14094). The Lockport ZIP code
gets me the listings for all the Buffalo area HDTV
stations I can get (and it gets me listings for a few
Buffalo area HDTV stations I can not get), it also
gets me the strongest Toronto HDTV stations (CBC, and
CTV). Problem is it doesn't get me some of the weaker
Toronto area HDTV stations (CITY TV and Sun TV for
example).

So, I can make things work with the Lockport 14094 ZIP
code but is there a better US ZIP code to use with
Schedules Direct?

Anyone know, or am I alone in this area?

Colin McGregor