Yet Another iPod Question

John Moniz john.moniz-rieW9WUcm8FFJ04o6PK0Fg at public.gmane.org
Fri Feb 29 21:36:11 UTC 2008

Jason Shein wrote:
> As per the documentation, at least one song needs to be transferred to the
> iPod prior to using Floola.
>
> I personally prefer gtkpod, but it only works for certain colours and size
> combinations of the iPod nano. Of the 8gb models, only the silver version is
> supported due to device IDs.
>
> If you attempt to attach gtkpd to an unsupported nano, it trashes the
> database, and requires a repair using iTunes. ( as I found out )
>

> Floola works great for videos, mp3. and cover art on my daughters ( green 8GB
> nano )
Thanks Jason. I went looking for places where I could get an 8gb silver
iPod and found a few. Unfortunately, I got stuck out of town and had my
wife and daughter go out to get one. The nice man at the store convinced
them that there was no difference, so they came back with a black 3rd
gen nano.

First I set up the iPod with iTunes to make sure it was working OK.
After a few songs were installed, I plugged it in to a linux PC. I could
tell that the device was recognized from dmesg, but it would not mount
itself to /media/ipod, which is where my son's iPod classic video mounts
to on my machine. I tried creating the needed directory, setting the
permissions and mounting it manually, but the permissions reset
themselves to root and none of the players can use it. Amarock gives an
error that it cannot write the lock file to the device because of denied
permission. gtkpod was hopeless.

I installed floola, but it crashes with exception errors every time I
try to do anything at all with it.

This is my daughter's iPod and she has a newer ubuntu just recently
installed. I'll try there all over again, but it won't be until tomorrow
when I take her back to school. There are some posts on the ubuntu forum
that claim the nano 3G problem has been resolved, I just hope it
includes the mounting problem I'm having.

It would be nice to know if anyone's iPod nano (3rd gen) mounts itself
properly upon plugging in.

Thanks,

John.