OT - Cellphone billing

James Knott james.knott-bJEeYj9oJeDQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org
Fri Feb 29 21:08:07 UTC 2008

Duncan MacGregor wrote:
> On February 29, 2008 01:49:22 pm James Knott wrote:
>

>> Unless you happen to be on an ancient exchange.  When new gear arrives
>> in the big city, it often pushes older stuff out to the boonies, so
>> someone in the middle of nowhere, is barely past cranking the phone to
>> get the operator!  ;-)
>>

> The boonies.
> Like twenty miles north of Barrie, say Craighurst. 70 miles from Toronto and
> all the good stuff starts to wink out. Other than that, it's 26k dialup data,
> no call-waiting, call-forward, call-answer, . . .

I know where Craighurst is.  I've passed by there, on Hwy 400, en route
to & from Penetang, including yesterday.  Of course, anything north of
Steeles is the boonies.  ;-)

> The only substantial service map is for POTS. For high-speed data and actual
> cell-phone service, the service map is a series of tiny pockets around
> cities, with huge dark spots in between.

Well, there's at least T1 in the prison in Penetang.  I've been in there
a few times, working on communications systems.  If you'd care to
relocate...  ;-)