OT - Cellphone billing

phiscock-g851W1bGYuGnS0EtXVNi6w at public.gmane.org phiscock-g851W1bGYuGnS0EtXVNi6w at public.gmane.org
Fri Feb 29 15:50:51 UTC 2008

> If you install equipment that supports call display then you have
> equipment that supports call display.  Whether it transmits it down the
> line to the end user doesn't change the cost of the box at all.  It
> certainly does not cost $5 per month to do so for each customer.

To my mind, the most egregious example of over charging is the surcharge
for a touch-tone phone. Back in the 80's when I tried to hold on to pulse
dialing and Bell would not allow it. But I still have to pay (to this day)
for the 'option' of tone dialing.

Incidentally, while we were still using pulse dialing when we substribed
to  an ISP. The connection didn't work and the tech support guy was
totally stumped. It turned out that the modem had to be told to use pulse
dialing. I suspect the TSG wasn't old enough to be aware of pulse dialing.

Has anyone seen the Bell instructional film from the 30's which shows
people how to use a rotary dial?

--
Peter Hiscocks
Syscomp Electronic Design Limited, Toronto