OT - Cellphone billing

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Fri Feb 29 15:31:00 UTC 2008

On Thu, Feb 28, 2008 at 05:28:04PM -0500, James Knott wrote:
> Why would they already have that equipment?  A company buys equipment
> with the idea of generating revenue with it and that same equipment has
> to be amortized over several years.  Where does the money to amortize it
> come from?

If you install equipment that supports call display then you have
equipment that supports call display.  Whether it transmits it down the
line to the end user doesn't change the cost of the box at all.  It
certainly does not cost $5 per month to do so for each customer.

Given the voice mail system (at least for cell phones) is often limited
to 5 messages of 60 seconds, the number of users any given voice mail
system can handle with the size of drives today is just about infinite.
I don't see how it can be $5 or even $8 in some cases per month to store
a few KBs of data.

I am sure there is cost involved in buying and setting up these devices
in the first place, but given the amount of money one has to pay per
month for the service in the first place I would think that should
already be covered.

> We already have that.  Any GSM vendor, other than Rogers/Fido is someone
> reselling services from Rogers.  Is there anyone reselling CDMA from
> Bell or Telus.  Back in the days before Rogers bought them, the 1st GSM
> network was Fido, which was owned by Microcell.  Microcell also sold
> bulk service to other companies.

I meant a network not controlled by bastards like rogers and bell (never
dealt with telus personally).

It was a sad thing to see fido be taken over by rogers.

--
Len Sorensen