OT - Cellphone billing

James Knott james.knott-bJEeYj9oJeDQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org
Fri Feb 29 00:34:25 UTC 2008

Duncan MacGregor wrote:
> On February 28, 2008 06:54:38 pm James Knott wrote:
>
>> Christopher Browne wrote:

>>> No, it's NOT a "tax liability to keep it in service."  No more than it
>>> would be a "tax liability" to keep a car in service for a couple more
>>> years.
>>>
>>> The phone companies tend to be *so* profitable that their perspective
>>> on things tends to deviate from what many would consider rational.
>>>
>> You're talking to someone who used to work for Unitel.  When I left, in
>> Jan 95, they were losing something on the order of $1M/day!  I'd hardly
>> call that profitable.  Back in the days when I was in planning for them,
>> I was spending something on the order of $6-7 million per year on new
>> hardware.  There were several other planners doing similar.  As for tax
>> liabilities, what happens when you tell Rev Can that a piece of hardware
>> has a, for example, 10 year life, base your taxes on that and then keep
>> it in service for 15 or 20 years?
>>

> You save money.
> That was the idea behind all-stainless-steel railcars. Once they are fully
> depreciated, you still have 100% of what you bought.

My question is what happens when you tell Rev Can that those cars have
an expected life of 10 years, plan your finances and taxes around that
number, but then use them for 15 or 20?  You've arranged for a tax
deduction based on a 10 year cost, which is greater than it would be, if
you said 15 or 20 year cost.