Poll; Tape drives

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Thu Feb 28 13:49:51 UTC 2008

On Thu, Feb 28, 2008 at 04:08:45AM +0000, Julian C. Dunn wrote:
> I still use tapes. My home backup system is a DLT7000 drive, whose tapes
> I take off-site (to the office). That said, I do realize that for most
> home users, tape is exorbitantly expensive. I got this system
> second-hand and if I had to buy all the tapes again at $40 apiece (new)
> the media would cost me $600 alone -- enough to buy 10 hard disks.
>
> Tape is still good for enterprise use though and I don't see it going
> away there.

If you look at what companies like quantum are doing, it seems they are
all getting into harddisk based backup systems.  Tape simply costs too
much and isn't reliable enough to justify anymore.

Personally I am setting up backup for my farther now which will simply
be to rsync all his data to my machine at my house multiple times per
day.  Should be much simpler for him than the DVD backups he has been
making, and simpler than an external disk for backup, and it is
automatically off site which is the biggest advantage.

--
Len Sorensen