Error correction with aes-looback / cryptoloop?

Anthony de Boer adb-tlug-AbAJl/g/NLXk1uMJSBkQmQ at public.gmane.org
Wed Feb 27 15:43:22 UTC 2008

Mike Oliver wrote:
> It seems to work fine, but I'm not so happy about the
> thought that a one-bit HDD error could make me lose the
> entire partition.

Are you really sure it works that way?  Disks are random-access beasts,
and certainly after booting you can go to any part of the disk without
having to sequentially go through everything ahead of it.

There are critical bits like the superblock and the directory at the root
of the partition, but alternate superblocks and fsck can affect at least
partial recovery from many errors.

And you *ARE* going to keep backups, right?

--
Anthony de Boer