OT text message scam

Dave Cramer davec-zxk95TxsVYDyHADnj0MGvQC/G2K4zDHf at public.gmane.org
Tue Feb 26 23:18:53 UTC 2008

On 25-Feb-08, at 9:09 AM, Walter Dnes wrote:

> On Fri, Feb 22, 2008 at 04:40:15PM -0500, Dave Cramer wrote
>> I just got a bill on my cell for 28 TXT messages for 32.50
>>
>> I didn't sign up for these messages and apparently they are billed
>> by the
>> sender.
>>
>> The number they come from is 33444.
>>
>> This is a good gig. Anyone know anything about this?
>
>  Google is your friend.  ***I SUGGEST NOT GOING TO THE FOLLOWING
> WEBSITE
> WITH IE***.  A quick look turned up
> http://www.mtnonline.com/fun/Guess_who.asp and the title on the
> frame is
> "MTN Nigeria".  Nuff said right there.  The domain is hosted in the
> USA
> (see attachment).

As it turns out the real culprit is http://www.myluvcrush.ca

short numbers are specific to countries and the 33444 above is from
the states.

33444 in canada is owned currently by the owner of the above site.

For those of you who are interested. You can do one of two things

1) reply to the message with the word help

This is how I found out who it was.

2) reply to the message with the word stop

They are obliged to stop sending you messages, however my bell rep
told me I had to do it twice to each message.

So I guess it's on the honour system :(

>  I doubt you entered your phone number anywhere.  This is a weakness
> of
> the phone system.  It's analagous to total lack of security in early
> internet protocols, because they were designed on the assumption that
> anybody on the "net" was a middle-class white male with a US military
> security clearance, and "Kremvax" was an April fools joke.  Now the
> "Russian Business Network" is exploiting that lack of security.
>
>  The old phome system consisted of a bunch of monopolies, an "old boys
> club", where deals were cemented with handshakes.  One company sent a
> bill to another company's customer, and it was processed without
> question.  Now, a bunch of sleazebag outfits are taking advantage of
> this laxness to send fraudulent bills.
>
>  You may be able to get that one number blocked, but there will be
> others.  I suggest that you contact the CRTC, and ask them to consider
> setting up a requirement that customers be able, at no cost, to have
> their phone accounts flagged to not be billed by 3rd parties under any
> circumstances.  The phone company should not be a collection agency
> for
> a bunch of con-artists.

No kidding, eh. This is a license to steal money.

Dave