xmodmap Oddness

Tue Feb 26 21:14:29 UTC 2008

I recently got a new keyboard, and I have found some strangeness when
remapping it's keys.  All of the changes I usually make worked fine,
save one.

Ordinarily, I just fire up xev to get the keycode and then `xmodmap -e
"keycode 64 = Control_L"`.  And that has worked for all of my keys but
one - my Alt_L (keycode 64).  I was trying to remap it to Control_L, but
it is staying subbornly Alt_L.

Here's the output of xev for my uncooperative keyboard:

KeyPress event, serial 32, synthetic NO, window 0x1800001,
    root 0x63, subw 0x1800002, time 1468606840, (37,48), root:(1538,917),
    state 0x10, keycode 37 (keysym 0xffe3, Control_L), same_screen YES,
    XLookupString gives 0 bytes:
    XmbLookupString gives 0 bytes:
    XFilterEvent returns: False

KeyPress event, serial 32, synthetic NO, window 0x1800001,
    root 0x63, subw 0x1800002, time 1468618977, (37,48), root:(1538,917),
    state 0x10, keycode 64 (keysym 0xffe3, Control_L), same_screen YES,
    XKeysymToKeycode returns keycode: 37
    XLookupString gives 0 bytes:
    XmbLookupString gives 0 bytes:
    XFilterEvent returns: False

The top key is working as expected, but the bottom one, which is the one
I'd like to have actually be the Control_L, is claiming to be Control_L,
as I remapped it, but when I press it is still actually Alt_L.  The only
difference I see is that the one that doesn't do what I'd like has a
keysym remap.  Given I put it there, that's not a huge surprise, but I
am not sure what I should do.

Any suggestions would be welcome.  Thanks.
--

yours,

William