USB based Bluetooth receiver/transmitter

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Mon Feb 25 23:44:31 UTC 2008

On Tue, Feb 19, 2008 at 07:11:08AM +0300, William Muriithi wrote:
> I want to attempt using bluetooth to send out sms. This will entail
> tether a desktop to the cell phone for connectivity. So, I think I
> will need a bluetooth hardware that should play well with bluez (The
> Linux bluetooth stack) and Nokia bluetooth stack. I am assuming that
> Nokia has reused most of their software across most of their phones,
> so being specific about the phone isn't necessary. If that assumption
> is however wrong, I would love to connect to a Nokia 6300.
>
> Now, the first thing I did was to go on line for some hardware
> compatibility thing of sort. Haha, seem that such a list existed
> sometime back, but apparently Marcel Holtmann was forced to take it
> down. Looking closer, it look like its still there but haven't been
> update for over 2 years. Thats when I thought may be I should ask
> here, just in case someone has worked on it recently.
>
> Whats the best hardware to pick up to enable me fulfill the above
> small project? I would  appreciate  sharing any pertinent experience
> here

Well a quick search found this adapter:
http://www.canadacomputers.com/index.php?do=ShowProduct&cmd=pd&pid=014623&cid=IO.940

Supports bluetooth 2.0 and all that.

Another quick search found a bunch of ubuntu users saying it worked out
of the box with no configuration required on their part using gutsy.

My wife's tablet PC has no problem using the internal bluetooth adapter
either under linux, although I have no idea how one would make it
actually do anything but it is detected and claims to be working.

--
Len Sorensen