I've never understood how you manage kernel modules at boot time

Mike Oliver moliver-fC0AHe2n+mcIvw5+aKnW+Pd9D2ou9A/h at public.gmane.org
Mon Feb 25 18:25:38 UTC 2008

Quoting Lennart Sorensen <lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org>:

> Another way to make things load is with aliases such as:
> alias char-major-195-* nvidia
>
> That means whenever something tries to open a /dev node for major 195
> then load the module named nvidia to try and provide such a device.

OK, this is the exact spot where neither the documentation nor anyone
else ever seems to explain what's going on.  Exactly *why* does
"something try to open a /dev node for major 195"?  How can I predict
that that's going to happen -- or make it happen if it otherwise
wouldn't -- so
that the alias command will make the module load?