MS office & Open office compatibility issue

Stephen stephen-d-bJEeYj9oJeDQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org
Mon Feb 25 04:18:16 UTC 2008

William Muriithi wrote:
> Hi
>> Consider that a 'page' is defined by the printer setup of the local
>>  computer.
>>
>>  Legal size paper is a larger page, than letter size, for example.
>>
>>  Or do you mean that data in the document is being lost?
>>

> No all the content, every word of it is there. Its just spread across
> more pages in OO than MS office. But now that you mentioned that, may
> be OO default to A4 and MS office to legal size. Would that also
> affect the electronic version, or it only come into play when sending
> it to the printers?

Check the view option.

In MS office it wants to default to a kind of print preview mode. But
you can wrestle it to draft. I assume OO has similar settings.

The software has to figure out how big a page is somehow. Used to be
just 66 lines or something like that. But with varying point sizes,
embedded images, tables, it is very much a crap shoot.

Stephen