ooffice? or my problem?

D. Hugh Redelmeier hugh-pmF8o41NoarQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org
Sat Feb 23 19:19:01 UTC 2008

| From: Zbigniew Koziol <softquake-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org>

| On Sat, Feb 23, 2008 at 9:45 AM, Jamon Camisso
| <jamon.camisso-H217xnMUJC0sA/PxXw9srA at public.gmane.org> wrote:
| >
| > Zbigniew Koziol wrote:
| >  > On Fri, Feb 22, 2008 at 9:05 PM, James Knott <james.knott-bJEeYj9oJeDQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org> wrote:
| >  >> Zbigniew Koziol wrote:
| >  >>  > On Fri, Feb 22, 2008 at 8:38 PM, James Knott <james.knott-bJEeYj9oJeDQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org> wrote:
| >  >>  >
| >  >>  >> Zbigniew Koziol wrote:
| >  >>  >>  > I had version 2.0 installed. Now, I installed the newest version, 2.3.
| >  >>  >>  > something. And I still can not save document in MSWord format! I have
| >  >>  >>  > simply no that option to choose from. The document is always saved in
| >  >>  >>  > oo format.

Perhaps you installed it incorrectly.

| >  >>  >>  > And dont tell me also that OO is going to replace MS Office. The
| >  >>  >>  > trouble I experienced when upgrading from version 2 to 2.3 proves that
| >  >>  >>  > it never ever is going to happen.

That statement isn't convincing to me.  Upgrades not supported by your
distro are often "adventures".  End users are not normally going to
try this, nor should they.

Techies can try this stuff.  It should work.  But be prepared for
adventures and do have fall-back plans.

| >  >>  >>  > These big shi*s like Sun will rather always create troyans, and be not
| >  >>  >>  > interested in doing thing properly for Linux.

That's a bit of a leap.  A bit rude considering the Open Office
resources they have provided us.  OO is very very crucial to the
success of Linux.

| >  > I am on CentOS 5, which is basically the same as the latest Red Hat
| >  > Enterprise version. There I had OO version 2 installed. Since however
| >  > it did not produce MS format, I though that i will installed the
| >  > latest version of OO, and I did that by downloading version 2.3 from
| >  > OO web site.
| >
| >  Are you creating a new Text Document? Other types of documents won't let
| >  you save as .doc (e.g. Master Document).
|
| Great advise.
|
| I got around the problem. I found out an old Word 6 document, opened
| it, and opened the document that i wanted to convert. So I copy and
| paste the new document over Word 6 version and saved it under a
| different name. Seems to work.
|
| But does that make sense? Is average Joe going to be able to figure
| out that such a trick is possible?

That's interesting.  Not the easy way, that is for sure.

I recently installed CentOS 5.1.  I don't remember doing anything
special with respect to Open Office.

Just now, I ran oowriter (thus creating an empty document), typed one
word of content, then file:Save As: click on "file type".  I see lots of
formats, including "Microsoft Word 97/2000/XP", "Microsoft Word 95",
and "Microsoft Word 6.0".

    $ rpm -qa | grep office
    openoffice.org-writer-2.0.4-5.4.25
    openoffice.org-xsltfilter-2.0.4-5.4.25
    openoffice.org-impress-2.0.4-5.4.25
    openoffice.org-core-2.0.4-5.4.25
    openoffice.org-calc-2.0.4-5.4.25
    openoffice.org-math-2.0.4-5.4.25
    openoffice.org-draw-2.0.4-5.4.25
    openoffice.org-graphicfilter-2.0.4-5.4.25
    openoffice.org-base-2.0.4-5.4.25

I have done no tweaking of this installation.

I have no idea why your original 2.0 installation didn't work.  You
don't either and after you replaced it, there is no way to find out.