OT: Multi-highlight in Firefox

George Nicol gnicol-PeCUgM4zDv73fQ9qLvQP4Q at public.gmane.org
Sat Feb 23 06:39:14 UTC 2008

William O'Higgins Witteman wrote:

> I have to scan several web pages on a regular basis, looking for any
> instance of any of a set of several names/terms.  I thought I would be
> able to find a Firefox plugin that would highlight my search terms and
> accept a list as input, but I was wrong.

I'm not sure that I understand your needs correctly because some of your
terms (several/regular/any) seem vague. But there's no need to give up
every specific detail either. So, just a shot...

You're already using Linux and Firefox (version?) so "to scan several
web pages on a regular basis" browse to each one in a separate Tab and
use "Bookmark All Tabs..." to save them to a Bookmarks Folder. The next
time you need to scan them just open the Folder and click "Open in Tabs"
at the bottom of the list. You'll see the Tabs reload, but are they the
latest update from the web or the previous version from the cache? If in
doubt, you can either dump your cache before the fetch or View > Reload
(Ctrl+R) each Tab.

To "find a Firefox plugin that would highlight my search terms" I'd turn
to the reigning champion and third member of this holy trinity: Google.
The Firefox plugin I *think* you're looking for is the Google Toolbar.
The "Highlight" button instantly lights up search terms on the page and
it will keep a search history in a list. You don't have to perform a
search to use the "Highlight" and "Word Find" buttons. Simply enter your
terms into the search box (don't hit Enter), then click the "Highlight"
or "Word Find" button.

Like Firefox, Google Toolbar is highly configurable so it can be clean
and simple or have as many bells and whistles as you desire. If this
solution works for you and "on a regular basis" means daily or more
often, you may want to set this up in an application-specific version
of Swiftfox, separate from your everyday Firefox, and start it with a
click of the mouse whenever necessary.

Google Toolbar for Firefox can be found/downloaded here:
http://www.google.com/tools/firefox/toolbar/FT3/intl/en/index.html

System Requirements: Linux Compatibility should be checked here:
http://www.google.com/support/firefox/bin/answer.py?answer=53937&hl=en

Google Toolbar for Firefox Features:
http://www.google.com/support/firefox/bin/static.py?page=features.html&v=3

Google Toolbar for Firefox Help Center:
http://www.google.com/support/firefox/

I'm not fond of browser toolbars. Your requirements may be compelling.
The Google Toolbar *will* call home but can be controlled. Be sure to
read the Privacy Policy available here:
http://www.google.com/support/firefox/bin/topic.py?topic=11802

And remember - Google says, "they do know evil."